8.3.14

kabeljauwlever.

I bought some today, it was on sale (€2). The Dutch name sounds better than the English to me I suppose b/c many American kids of my generation have horrible memories of either real or threatened medicinal applications of cod liver oil.

But it's either a different story as adults or because we're in Cod Country. I had a taste tonight, I'll try to post an appetizing pic tomorrow, but basically: it tastes very oceanic and only very mildly livery, I think if you like fish pâtés and did something like the following with it you would be pleasantly surprised. I liked it.

+++

cod liver pâté. 

120g cod liver
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped fine
1 tbsp creme fraiche
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped fine
2 tbsp chopped red onion
2 tbsp watercress, chopped fine
2 tbsp chives, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Basically mash the first ingredients well with a fork, or process gently with some kind of chopper thing. Add everything else and salt and pepper to taste. Eat on something crispy, like cucumbers or hmm, maybe even a deluxe potato chip.

+++

No comments: